In 1920, Agnes and Zygmund Kowalski, who emigrated from Poland to pursue the American Dream, opened a small grocery store on Chene St. in Detroit. They wanted to bring their favorite Polish keilbasa and other sausages from the old country so a smokehouse was added to the store. Demand grew and new plant was built on Holbrook Street in Hamtramck.
The business has grown as it has passed to each succeeding generation. Adhering to Kowalski tradition, their secret family recipes and hardwood smoking process have not changed. Today, ninety years later, the company employs more than 100 people and Kowalski products can be found not only in the Detroit area, but as far as Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.
Vintage Kowalski Sign
on the closed Nortown Bakery & Deli building in Hamtramck.
Pin It Now!